What is a central lubrication system?
A central lubrication system, also known as a centralised lubrication system or automatic lubrication system, is a mechanism designed to automatically deliver lubricant (such as oil or grease) to multiple points or components of machinery or equipment.
The primary purpose of a central lubrication system is to ensure that the lubricant reaches all the necessary lubrication points in a consistent and controlled manner. It eliminates the need for manual lubrication at individual points, saving time and improving overall lubrication effectiveness.
Here are some key components and features typically found in a central lubrication system:
- Centralised pump/reservoir: The system includes a central pump or reservoir that stores the lubricant. This pump is responsible for supplying the lubricant to the distribution network.
- Distribution network: The lubricant is distributed from the central pump/reservoir to various lubrication points through a network of pipes, tubing, or hoses. The network can be designed to deliver the lubricant to specific components or areas that require lubrication.
- Metering devices: Metering devices, such as valves or injectors, are used to control the flow of lubricant to individual lubrication points. These devices ensure that the right amount of lubricant is delivered to each point according to the specific requirements of the equipment.
- Control unit: A control unit or controller is employed to monitor and regulate the operation of the central lubrication system. It can be programmed to control the timing, frequency, and duration of lubricant delivery, as well as to adjust the lubricant flow rate.
- Monitoring and feedback: Some central lubrication systems incorporate sensors or indicators to monitor the system's performance, including lubricant levels, pressure, and blockages. This feedback helps identify potential issues or maintenance needs.
The main advantages of a central lubrication system include:
- Improved equipment reliability
- Reduced maintenance downtime
- Enhanced lubrication consistency
- Extended component life
It ensures that lubrication is delivered in a timely and precise manner, even in hard-to-reach or inaccessible areas, which can be critical in large or complex machinery. Additionally, central lubrication systems can help optimize lubricant usage and minimize waste.
It's worth noting that the design and configuration of central lubrication systems can vary depending on the specific application and machinery requirements. Consulting the manufacturer's guidelines and working with experienced professionals can help determine the most suitable system for a particular equipment setup.
Hydroscand's team has the knowledge to select the right system for your machine. We offer fast and personal consultation, thanks to our wide network of branches and our HoseExpress, mobile hose service. Hydroscand's knowledgeable HoseExpress service technicians have experience installing, repairing, and optimising central lubrication systems to increase your operational reliability.
We provide a wide range of products for the operation and maintenance of central lubrication systems. Among other things, we have quality greases and grease hoses, all the right products for emergency repairs out in the field.
Our knowledgeable team can offer advice on central lubrication systems for your specific machines.
For more information, contact us at email@example.com or 0800 0116 999.